Monday, August 20, 2012

a fond adieu.....( not to be confused with fondue)

Yesterday afternoon my friend Sarah came out to the house. After hanging out and chatting for a while we went to La Lagunita for dinner ( the local restaurant). Since it was a Sunday afternoon, it was packed with families who had come to the beach for the day. Cars, vans, trucks and busses full of people filled little Santa Clara like a tummy on Thanksgiving. Beach towels, sundresses and laughing children flavored the scene like any other summer hot spot. Music pumped through the speakers as we ate botanas and drank lemonade waiting for our food. Vendors strolled by , the breeze was hot and above it all blazed a crystal blue sky. I got stung on the back of the arm by a wayward bee but isn´t that part of summer as well? The fish was freshly caught and delicious. Sated, I leaned back and took it all in. My last day. For now. We went back to the house and relaxed, talking , reading, laughing. It was a really pleasant evening. I felt so glad to have met sarah and become friends with her. That led me to think about all of the people i have had the pleasure of getting to know here. A varied and quirky bunch each with their own odd story and set of circumstances but all sharing the spirit of adventure it takes to create a life here.
This morning we ate the last of the yogurt with some granola. sarah had brought sweet rolls with her and I set them on a plate. We had a leisurely breakfast, sipping tea and talking. When we finished, I washed the dishes and put them away. Not on the counter to dry as usual, away. After showering, I stripped the bed and bagged the sheets along with my bath, hand and dish towels. These would get dropped off at Marcias house for Marciel to wash, bring back and put away. He will be looking after the house. I then proceeded to pack the couch cushions into large plastic bags. I ran to the dump, and returned with the truck, rolled up the windows and patted the dash thanking it for being such a trusty steed to me. For driving me safely over many, many miles. We loaded the kennel in the car-realizing it wouldnt fit, we had to take it apart. This means I will have to re-assemble it tomorrow morning at 4 am at the airport (my friend Michelle who flew down for two days just to bring it to me wins bonus points ). From Merida we go to Mexico City and on to Las Vegas where i will rent a car and we will drive home.
I locked the casita, closed the back protector, shut the windows, turned off the fans and closed the door. Closing my new protector on the front door, I slid the shiny new lock into place. Sarah started the car and pulled it out to the road as I walked behind her and shut the gate slipping the chain into place and securing the last lock. I looked at the house as we pulled away. Melancholy. Sad to leave..so much work and heart put into it. A five year plan in preparation to move here and two years here slowly creating a little piece of perfection. But also excited about going back to friends and family. Home for the holidays, an oven! Soups, fall leaves, pumpkins, halloween, turkey, movies, Red Vines and Hot Tamales! Mexican food! and along with it all a return to work, a phone that rings a lot, schedules, a much different life. I was reading a book and in it they were discussing how people go to work, spend the day thinking about going home and spend a lot of time thinking about when they can relax or go on vacation to some sunny, carefree place. Ive gotten to live in that carefree sunny place and its been amazing but it has also been a bit lonely from time to time. Circumstances change, plans need to be altered and life goes on. How lucky am I that Ive gotten to live out not one , but several dreams. I don´t feel like my dream is over, I get to launch into a new one. So many people truly care about me, I am loved, I am healthy and still filled with the spirit of adventure. Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment