Thursday, March 3, 2011

this and that....

Wow....its a bold and daring move , i must say i am surprising myself by publishing this..... my new thing is i walk the beach-this beach- for two hours each morning. An hour up, turn around, an hour back. As you can see there are no houses in sight. I do usually have an entourage though. By the time i'm walking back, its usually pretty warm so i walk in the shallows. there are schools of little, tiny silver fish that lead the way for me. On the edge of the sand are little birds that sheepishly skirt my progress. A bit farther out in the water are larger fish that swim in a circle than fan out. if I venture out a bit deeper, they too come close enough to try to find out what sort of creature I am. They all make me laugh, which I do out loud. Who is there to hear me? I will admit to you all, as much as I would love to dive in, I am a little gun shy of the sting rays. They lurk in the sand and if you step on them, their tail springs up and stings you. I hear its quite excruciating. i don't want to find out. I did take the inflatable kayak out the other day though. It was soooo nice but I if I'd of gotten out there a bit earlier, the water was like glass. i discovered i had a bit of a leak though so had to keep coming in to blow it back up...Ill have to get that taken care of........
Do you see how clear that water is!! And how calm? This is what i missed the morning I kayaked because i fooled around too long and the wind came up.

Hello out there! So it's been brought to my attention that I have not posted in 2 weeks....say it aint so!!! Wow....what HAVE I been doing? I'm actually a little brain dead right now, its late and it was in the 90's today with no breeze..sweltering! Thats in Merida, its much cooler with a nice breeze in Santa Clara...So nothing too profound tonight, just some random tid bits.....




This little guy is the only one of his kind I've seen....he was out front eating birdseed with the big boys...






On our way out of town last week, we stopped at Wal-Mart. i was walking along when a white haired, stately looking woman approached me and started speaking spanish to me. I told her that I only spoke a little spanish "well I speak english too" she proudly announced. "I lived in New York!" This woman was 94 years old. What a gem. She was grocery shopping with her caregiver. She was very mobile and sharp. She had stopped me to tell me how she found my tattoos to be beautiful...I LOVE that! A 96 year old woman.....what a gal. We chatted for a few minutes- she was very lively- than we continued our shopping. I'll bet she's got some stories to tell. She had lovely skin, a traditional dress which is white with a lot of embroidery around the neck and hem . there is always a long slip sort of thing that hangs out the bottom that is very lacey. They have a name but sadly I don't know it. She also had a long silver necklace that was quite old and a pair of sandals with a little heel. Sassy she was! I'll bet she was not to be trifled with in her day. She still carried a very strong presence.

Here's another random piece- there has been a mother dog and her 5 puppies living nearby for a few weeks now. These feral dogs are really common. I don't know how she manages to keep it all going. What really amazes me is how they dont follow her when she takes off to forage. they all find their way into our yard to access water. Sometimes you hear her lapping in the middle of the night. we never see her in the yard but the pups come in now and then. I have put leftovers out for them but am not going to take over their care. Its hard. We have seen pups at the dump and there are two that I have to walk by when I go to the beach. It breaks my heart but i cant save them all. There are also a lot of females who've had so many litters they are worn out. Its really heartbreking, especially these pups. The ones that come in our yard are very leary but they know my whistle and they know which plate the food comes on. One is a little braver that the rest so he gets the lions share ( the strays share in this case...)
Well, there you have my completely disjointed ramblings....sorry...i warned you that I was tired....Feral dogs, sting rays.......sun, 90 plus degree heat....that probably sounds unappealing to some of you out there but I'll tell you what, I find it dreamy..............

No comments:

Post a Comment