Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Finally! a new post...

My, my, my....how time does fly. I can't believe it's been so long since we last chatted....

 I was just out trying to fill the cistern with water. It's one of those days when the water pressure seems to be experiencing the same lethargy as every other living thing. The sun is a seering orb that feels as though it couldn't possibly, really be capable of being that piercing when it hits you. The only thing to do is close the curtains, turn on the fans and stay indoors. The water lines though..well, they can't. I'm sure the sun has nothing to do with the water flow but when i'm standing in it's glare, bent over trying to coax a tiny stream of water, a trickle really, up an 8 inch incline into the half empty cistern, well, I can't help but think heat exhaustion has played a role in my flacid hose. The poor rubber is so warm it's actually abnormaly pliable. One has to be patient. You have to try many tactics; there's the quick pull up and thrust which theoretically gets the hose ij before the water knows the course has shifted. There is also the snake like zig zagging of the line to gradually get it up. Another option is the up and over an item prior to the up and over the lip of the cistern. You have to be ready to try all of these several times before, for no particular reason, one of them works. I believe i have discussed Santa Claras water issues before. We are OK here because we use very little water but our poor neighbor, who has a very large, modern home complete with all the water sucking bells and whistles, is in a constant frenzied state in her relentless quest for water. Lately, she has taken to hauling a large water tank in the back of her truck, back and forth to the water pump halfway between here and Dzidzantun. Some new folks are starting to build an enormous home next to hers. One of the other residents tried to give them a heads up that water was really something to consider when building. They poo-pooed her telling her their architect had a system all figured out. OOO.KKKK...let me know how that works for you. Keep it simple folks! keep it simple.......Some of us moved to a remote fishing village in search of a low key existence and it's working for us. So, my tanks are about full, so is the pool. All is well at the Kahnert hacienda...
 Saturday we went on a kayaking adventure. Some friends from Texas paddled about on a trip that took a couple of hours. We cruised to the next village down-about 8 miles. On the way, we saw a couple of really big sea turtles that stuck their heads up and checked us out. There was also an extremely large beast of a fish that rolled very near us prompting me to dig,dig,dig that oar! Thought i was going to have to turn into Spencer Tracy...
 As for the photo- that was taken in Sisal. There isn't really a direct road to get there so we ( Carol and I..my new Texas, Republican, Southern Baptist friend) had to drive to Merida and come at it from the other direction. There wasn't much to see but they have a nice pier and a great little restaurant which is where the photo was taken.
 So, after spending three and a half months alone here..well, with my faithful pal Lucky, my boyfriends back. Is there gonna be trouble? I don't think so...It makes me feel very resourceful and competent to know I can navigate another country totally alone. Not just another country, a remote spot in another country. The way I see it, I navigated a remote spot in my country for years and managed it...OK..it was pretty unmanageable but..you know what i mean...
 I'll be leaving Sunday to go back to Oregon for a few days then I'm off to Istanbul. I know...quite the jet setter eh? hardly...the king of the jet setters is a guy..well, Carols husband, who flies regularly around the world on business. Its amazing...if only I could tap into those frequent flier miles....The thing that is painful to me is that he doesn't see any of the places he goes. He flies in, goes to the hotel, goes to his meetings, back to the hotel. He could be in Pittsburg or Duluth instead of Dubai or Santaigo. Its one of lifes twists..kind of like youth being wasted on the young.
 i will leave you with two things- 1.) I am going to start a line of cards using photos I've taken here.   " Lucky Dog Productions" I've appropriately named my venture. I hope to have some sort of website, blog something to show them...remember, christmas is just around the corner....I'll be selling them in packs of 5 so its a GREAT gift idea..and 2.) I'm going to get the casita up and running as a rental. I'll be showing lots of photos and info so again, possibly a blog of its own or website. Oh! and number 3). for those who haven't heard of "Wild " yet, I'd say its a must read. I cant recommend it highly enough. I read it in two sittings.
 Guess thats it for now, better go check the hose. Remember, Easy Does It, Keep It Simple and The Dude Abides......till next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment